Best Resources for Preparing for Job Interviews
You can use the information you find out to prepare your answers to Common Job Interview Questions.
Finding out about the company
- Doing a quick Google search is a start but the successful job candidate needs to go beyond that.
- The questions you ask in the interview and the way you respond to the interview questions you are asked will reflect your knowledge of the organization, the industry and the job.
Let’s have a look what information you need to gather before your interview and the best resources to use for your background research. The obvious starting point is the company website. If you don't have the web address you can try searching at Google http://www.companyname.com to get to the company homepage. Use the website to find out the following :
- a brief history of the organization
- organizational structure, subsidiaries, branches, holding company
- major competitors
- all products and services
- company culture including mission and vision
- most recent news and happenings (read through the latest media releases)
You need to go beyond the company website to be fully informed when preparing for job interviews. For example:
- Hoovers.com is a well respected service that provides detailed information on over 50 000 public and private companies.
- Corporateinformation.com provides information on both US and international companies including company profiles, earnings details and analyst reports.
- Business.com provides news and research for a large number of public and private companies in a variety of industries.
- Searchsystems.net is a Public Records Directory that provides free information on a private company
- Yahoo Finance provides a financial profile of companies by bringing together resources such as Businesswire, Newswire and Market Guide
The next step is to read newspaper articles on the company. Your local newspaper is a good starting point. You can go to www.newspaperlinks.com which provides links to online newspapers throughout the world. Search for your local newspaper and research back articles on the company. Google News also provides company news and updates. Bizjournals.com provides access to over 40 business journals where you can search for periodical articles that provide valuable information on the organization. Preparing for job interviews includes updating yourself on the industry in which the company operates. Find out :
- The current industry trends
- The leading companies in the industry
- New developments in the industry
www.corporateinformation.com provides links to resources for over 30 industrial sectors. Yahoo! Industry is also a valuable source of industry news. Use your information to tailor your interview answers to be as relevant to the company as possible. Highlight areas that you can add value to. Ask insightful questions that demonstrate your hard work in preparing for the interview.